MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
Small game hunting
Enjoy some winter small game hunting with your base license.
- Cottontail rabbit and snowshoe hare: open through March 31, 2023.
- Fox and gray squirrel (black phase included): open through March 31, 2023.
- Ruffed grouse: Dec. 1 - Jan. 1, 2023.
- Archery deer season: Now through Jan. 1, 2023, statewide on public or private lands.
- Muzzleloader deer season: Dec. 2-11, statewide on public or private lands.
- In Zone 3 (southern Michigan – see page 12 in the Hunting Digest) and the counties of Oceana, Muskegon, Newaygo, Mecosta, Isabella, Midland and Bay, you can use all legal firearms. If you are hunting in the limited firearm deer zone, you must follow equipment requirements for that zone.
- In the northern Lower Peninsula (Zone 2) and the Upper Peninsula (Zone 1), only muzzleloading firearms may be used.
- See page 50 of the Hunting Digest for more muzzleloading equipment information.
- Late antlerless firearm deer season: Dec. 12 - Jan. 1, 2023, on private lands ONLY in the Lower Peninsula (see page 52 of the Hunting Digest for a map of open deer management units).
Check the 2022 Hunting Digest, available on this website, for deer hunting regulations, including information on the types of deer that may be harvested in each season and any antler point restrictions that may be in place.
It’s not too late to get out for some great waterfowl hunting this season. Visit one of Michigan's managed waterfowl hunt areas for exceptional waterfowl hunting opportunities.
- Goose season: open through Dec. 16.
- Duck seasons: open through Dec. 4 and Dec. 17-18.
- Goose season: open through Dec. 23.
- Duck seasons: open through Dec. 11 and Dec. 31 - Jan. 1, 2023.
- Goose season: open through Dec. 11, Dec. 31 - Jan. 8, 2023, and Feb. 4-13, 2023.
- Allegan County Goose Management Unit: open through Dec. 4 and Dec. 17 - Feb. 13, 2023.
- Muskegon County GMU: open through Dec. 22.
- Coyote hunting: open year-round.
- Fox (gray and red) hunting: open through March 1, 2023.
- Raccoon hunting: open through March 31, 2023.
- Coyote and fox (gray and red) trapping: open through March 1, 2023.
- Raccoon trapping: open through March 31, 2023.
- Badger, beaver, bobcat, muskrat, mink and otter trapping opportunities are available for some areas; see the Fur Harvester Digest for open units, season dates and bag limits.
Discount on onX Hunt mapping tool for Michigan hunters
Download and save 20% on onX Hunt digital mapping memberships by using the code HUNTMI at checkout. Plus, a portion of every purchase will be donated to support Michigan conservation.